Department of Mathematical Sciences
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office: Wean Hall 7108
sebv (at) cmu (dot) edu
Writings | About Me | Teaching | Talks | Various
Sebastien Vasey, Indiscernible extraction and Morley sequences, Accepted (June 9, 2014), Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic. Preprint: pdf arXiv, 6 pages. Last updated on June 4, 2014 (see previous versions, including one with more background).
TLDR: In simple theories, Morley sequences can be built using only Ramsey's theorem and compactness.
- Will Boney, Rami Grossberg, Alexei Kolesnikov, and Sebastien Vasey, Canonical forking in AECs, Submitted. Preprint: pdf arXiv, 31 pages. Last updated on April 5, 2014 (see previous versions).
TLDR: An abstract elementary class can have at most one forking-like notion.
Sebastien Vasey, Forking and superstability in tame AECs, Submitted. Preprint: pdf arXiv, 30 pages. Last updated on June 30, 2014 (see previous versions).
TLDR: Any tame abstract elementary class categorical in a suitable cardinal admits a forking-like notion for 1-types. It follows for example that tameness and categoricity at a cardinal of high-enough cofinality imply stability everywhere.
Will Boney and Sebastien Vasey, Tameness and frames revisited, Submitted. Preprint: pdf arXiv, 31 pages. Last updated on August 28, 2014 (see previous versions).
TLDR: Tameness in a good frame implies that the good frame transfers up and that a well-behaved notion of dimension can be defined (any two maximal infinite independent sets have the same cardinality).
I am a math graduate student at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU). I started my Ph.D. in the Fall of 2012. Before that, I was studying Communication Systems and Computer Science at the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL).
My encounter with mathematical logic in 2010, and an exchange year at CMU in 2011-12 made me decide to change fields and turn to pure mathematics. I still hold a B.A. in Communication Systems from EPFL.
I am interested in pure model theory, and its interaction with algebra and combinatorial set theory. My advisor is Rami Grossberg.
From the beginning of Fall 2014 to the end of Fall 2015, I am supported by a Doc.Mobility fellowship from the Swiss National Science Foundation.
- Independence in tame abstract elementary classes: Talk given at the logic seminar at the University of Maryland on Nov. 11, 2014.
- Independence in tame abstract elementary classes: Talk given at the model theory seminar at the City University of New York on Oct. 31, 2014.
- Infinitary stability theory: Series of talks currently being given at the CMU model theory seminar (started Oct. 13, 2014).
- Schanuel's conjecture and excellence: Talk given at the CMU graduate student seminar on Sep. 30, 2014.
- Forking and superstability in tame abstract elementary classes: Talk given at the Classification Theory Workshop in NIMS (Daejeon, South Korea) on Aug. 9, 2014.
- Indiscernible extraction and Morley sequences: Talk given at the 2014 Logic Colloquium (Vienna University of Technology) on Jul. 19, 2014.
- Indiscernible extraction and Morley sequences: Talk given at the 15th Annual Graduate Student Conference in Logic (University of Wisconsin - Madison) on Apr. 27, 2014.
- O-minimality: Talk given at the CMU Graduate Student Seminar on Feb. 19, 2014.
- Existence of Morley sequences in simple theories: Two-parts talk given at the CMU Model Theory Seminar on Feb. 10, 17, 2014.
- Quasiminimal Structures and Excellence: Three-parts talk given at the CMU Model Theory Seminar on Oct. 14, 21, 28, 2013.
- Using the Axiom of Choice to Predict the Future: Talk given at the CMU Graduate Student Seminar on Jan. 17, 2013.
- Counting to Infinity and Beyond: Talk given to undergraduates at the CMU Math Club on Sep. 26, 2012.
- Privacy is like air: you never notice it exists, but you need it. I encourage you to use my PGP key (last updated: Sep. 21, 2013) .
- Here is a list of the classes I have taken / am taking at CMU.
- As everybody should know, all mathematicians are programmers, and conversely. Here are some of my programs .
- My old homepage: archived here since Feb. 10, 2013. Not maintained anymore.
- Like every other webpage, this webpage is under construction!